Monday, May 30, 2011

Because He Fought for Me by Victoria French

Quiet has filled our home


And my heart feels so alone


I look on my finger at my diamond ring


All those sweet memories make my heart sing


Just six months ago, my love left overseas


And I am tired of sitting at the dinner table just poking at my peas.





This morning the sun woke me up with a warm smile


On this morning of 1945 I will reunite with my dear Kyle


I slip on my best white heels with a tiny squirt of perfume


But my mind keeps racing with thoughts of embracing my husband, my groom


With minutes to spare, I slide on my white coat and begin to walk


It seems so long, how can it be only three blocks?





Across my work building, the American flag hangs proud


I can hear the band approaching over the cheering crowd


There are other families around in the same boat as me,


Our hearts are no longer empty but full of glee


Here comes the band playing trumpets and beating drums


Marching so proudly, our troops, here they come!





There is my Kyle in his sailor suit with tears running down his face


I push through the crowd towards him to finally embrace


There’s no more waiting around


My heart’s only love has been found


And I can live with him in complete freedom, you see


Because he fought for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment